On Friday, 07/31/2009 at 11:29 EDT, "Dean, David (I/S)"
<david_d...@bcbst.com> wrote:
> I am installing zVM omegamon on my 5.4 system.  Can anyone tell me why I
have
> to create a NEW id called 5698A36B to install it, why I can?t use MAINT?
I am
> linking the id to all the MAINT disks?.
>
> And, yes I will continue to read the manuals, but just hoped someone had
some
> insight.

To build on what John and Bill have said, every product has to have some
place to store its data (base files, service updates, build lists, etc.).
Decades ago it was decided that each product would have its own user ID
created to store the data.  Each product could have its own
installation/service scheme (SES and the Shared File System hadn't been
invented yet).  Further, it is possible to have multiple releases of a
single product installed, and each has its own set of files.  Keeping them
separate is much easier when the disks are owned by separate user IDs.