Howard Rifkind wrote:

Greetings all,

I’ve just read through the posts on Hercules.

I’ve heard about it but don’t know much about this software.

Does it run on a PC in Windows, Linux…what?

Is Hercules a shell for z/VM and/or z/OS and if so where does one get legal copies of both?

Being that I’m still on the beach I’d like to know where I can find out more about Hercules and install it on my home PC.

Being out since the end of March … thanks to lay offs at the bank I worked for isn’t much fun and a mind is terrible thing to loose.

If I had something at home to fool around with, that would be great and perhaps keep some of my skill warm.

Thanks

Hercules provides S/370, S/390 and System z architecture emulation on the x86 architecture (Windows or Linux). It's legality typically raises some questions, particularly when people want to run current levels of System z software on it. There are significantly older levels of mainframe software that the Hercules maintainers claim are unencumbered by such things. You can run Linux on System z on Hercules, this is equivalent to running Linux in an LPAR.

--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org