Access control is an ISPF function, I presume that one of the two locks (LMF or
SCLM) is used to prevent concurrent updates of the same member. It must also
have some way to serialize the updates of the library. That is an area that I
have avoided. I hate working with kludges or black boxes.

The developers of the application chose to have the data maintained in a
single, ever-increasing, highly used, frequently updated ISPF library, with no
maintenance routines, and no good way to identify obsolete members. The
application was already firmly entrenched when Mark and I arrived at Visa.
There have been at least three unsuccessful attempts to replace in during my
tenure here. The current attempt is nearing completion. With luck, we only have
to keep the application running for a few more months.

Regards,
Richard Schuh