Your mistake here is in the words:
> When I issue the CP  ID  command  I get:

ID (IDENTIFY) is a CMS command, not CP.
The CP command that gives your userid and node
is Q USERID.

ID does in fact take it's node data from
the SYSTEM NETID file, *if* different from the CP node:
   1.   THE USER ID AND NODE ARE FROM THE CP QUERY USERID
COMMAND. THE DATE,
        TIME, AND ZONE ARE FROM THE CP QUERY TIME COMMAND.
        IF THE SYSTEM NETID FILE IS READ AND THERE IS A
CONFLICT IN NODES
        BETWEEN THE SYSTEM NETID FILE AND CP QUERY USERID,
THE NODE IN SYSTEM
        NETID TAKES PRECEDENCE.
(From HELP IDENTIFY)

HTH,