From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:46 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: ISPF/PDF CMS MACLIB - Maintenance

On Wednesday, 08/19/2009 at 02:36 EDT, "Llewellyn, Mark"
<mllew...@visa.com> wrote:
> We do have a home-grown utility that does this sort of thing for us,
> and
it's
> how we normally update files on heavily-accessed resources.
>
> Unfortunately, the users would indeed have to re-access the
disk...which, to
> them, will abort whatever they are doing (with unpredictable results)
and,
> since they are mostly not VM-savvy, logging off and logging back on.
>
> Frankly, if all goes well, this old library system will be
> de-activated
within
> a month, so this maintenance issue of the past 15 years is now of
relatively
> low priority.
>
> What I'd REALLY like to know, as I've mentioned, is if read-only
> access
to an
> ISPF/PDF MACLIB-based application and functionality (sans updates) can
be
> achieved.  Even though the old app is being supplanted, users will
> still
wish
> to access pieces of it for historical reference.  We simply want the
MACLIB
> permanently frozen, but read-accessible via these local ISPF/PDF
routines.

Warning: I know nothing about ISPF/PDF's Theory of Operation.

Just perusing the ISPF/PDF manual, perhaps a LOCK of each member in the
library would let you keep other people out whilst you replace the maclib?

Given that each user has R/W access to the disk, control must be via an
advisory lock manager.  Once you have all the marbles, replace them with
new marbles.