We are starting to implement a virtual tape system in our VM system; they are
planning to get rid of our silos.  To us, it is a black box; the zOS guys say
"just mount these volumes on these tape devices; treat them like real cartridge
on real 3490 drives and you're good to go."

I've tested the volumes & devices using RMSMASTR, VMTAPE, VMBACKUP, DDR and for
the most part, they work well.

My question is:

Recovery process usually starts with a stand-alone program, like DSF or DDR. If
we have to IPL a stand-alone program like DDR that happens to be in a virtual
volume onto a bare LPAR, how is this done?

Thanks for any info.

Ismael