Hello Ismal,

The Virtual Tape system will have a console.

>From that a console, you will tell the Virtual Tape system to mount the

Correct tape on the VIRTUAL Address that is defined.

Then on your SERIESZ hardware console IPL from that tape drive.

Ed Martin

Aultman Health Foundation

330-363-5050

ext 35050

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Ifurung, ism...@cio
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:25 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Stand-alone IPL of a Virtual tape

We are starting to implement a virtual tape system in our VM system;
they are planning to get rid of our silos.  To us, it is a black box;
the zOS guys say "just mount these volumes on these tape devices; treat
them like real cartridge on real 3490 drives and you're good to go."

I've tested the volumes & devices using RMSMASTR, VMTAPE, VMBACKUP, DDR
and for the most part, they work well.

My question is:

Recovery process usually starts with a stand-alone program, like DSF or
DDR. If we have to IPL a stand-alone program like DDR that happens to be
in a virtual volume onto a bare LPAR, how is this done?

Thanks for any info.

Ismael