Jim's process is solid. On the z/VSE web site there is a page that describes what needs to be done during the twice yearly time change (forward and backward). Of course, now I can't find it, apparently it's buried.

In a nutshell, after the timezone is set in z/VM, z/VSE can get the new offset with the AR command TIME ZONE=VM. The CICS 'CEMT PERFORM RESET' commands will reset CICS's clock to the new OS time. Any other clock sensitive running jobs will need to be restarted as they will have the old clock setting. The one hour wait is only required in the fall, in the spring everything can continue as normal. An IPL is not required. I have customers that do not IPL for time changes and haven't for many, many years.

Kris Buelens wrote:
For VSE, what I learned: from the ASIPROC
 remove SET DATE
 remove SET ZONE
 remove SET ZONEDEF
 remove SET ZONEBDY
Then VSE would take the definitions of the VM system under which it is running. You still need to reIPL the VSE guests when the timezone changes.

For VMUTIL:no problems to expect. A bit simplified: a z Series has no timer to tell "wake me up at hh:mm:ss"; Wakeup allows hh:mm:ss. The z Series has "wake me up in xxxx seconds". So VMUTIL converts the next coming hh:mm:ss it finds in its WAKEUP file into wakup up in xyz seconds. If the timezone changes in the mean time, VMUTIL won't see that. But, when the xyz seconds have elapsed, it'll wake up, execute what was wanted and scan its wakeup file again for anything that is either late (and wakeup directly) or the first coming event and set the xxx seconds timer again. etc

2009/10/13 David L. Craig <d...@radix.net <mailto:d...@radix.net>>

    On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 08:35:01AM -0500, Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:

    > How do you accomplish this change?  (Especially with guests
    O/S's, like
    > VSE, and timing related service machines, like VMUTIL).

    I come into the Data Center, bring down our VSE/ESA 1.7
    and 2.2 virtual machines, SET TIMEZONE EST, and autolog
    the VSE machines back on.  Some shops wait an hour but
    that hasn't caused us any problems.

    --

    May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

    Dave Craig

    -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
    "'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
     You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
     Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

    --from _Nightfall_  by Asimov/Silverberg

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2010 - Apr 9-14, 2010 Covington, KY