As far as I understand, CICS uses the local time in its logs, not UTC (and
that's the reason that CICS must be kept down).  So keeping CICS down for an
hour will be enough.  What the HW clock is doesn't matter for CICS.
But, if you'd have DB2, that will use UTC -or more exact: the HW clock- in
its logs (just like SFS), playing with the HW clock may mean you have to
keep them down ...

Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support