On 10/22/09 4:03 PM, "Stephen Frazier" <ste...@doc.state.ok.us> wrote:

> On VMware you can move a running virtual machine from one ESX machine to
> another without the operating systems running on the virtual machine
> knowing it.
> There are many good ideas from zVM that have been copied by VMware. This
> is an example going the other way - zVM is using a VMware idea.
> Both VMware and zVM developers will tell you that they don't get ideas
> from the other - but as an administrator of both systems I can see what
> is happening.
> Same thing different names - a minidisk on zVM is a vmdk on VMware. A
> vSwitch on VMware is ...
> Now zVM is adding vmotion from VMware, so they call it Single System Image.

It's a little older than that. In the VM/SP and HPO days, there was a VM/SSI
add-on from a 3rd party company. It implemented a truly enormous number of
CP mods to allow virtual machines to move between a group of physical
systems with the SWITCH command. Worked extremely well, till VM/XA came
along.