On Friday, 10/23/2009 at 04:36 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:
> I am also a little confused between a MIB and an OID in some of the
> documentation I read they seem to be used interchangeable.

A MIB (Management Information Base) is a collection of related OIDs
(Object Identifiers).   It can be a reference to a file that may contain:
- The OID
- The name of the OID
- The data type of the OID
- A human-readable description of the OID
- Constraints (e.g. read-only)

In that respect, the term "MIB" may also be a reference to the standard
that defines the MIB.  E.g. "It's defined in the SWITCH MIB, RFC 1493."