So: open LUW or backup taking too long.  Do you have BACKUP in the DMSPARMS?

Do you have severs that keep (e.g. log) files open in SFS?  If so you'd need
to tell these servers to close their logs (hence end the open LUW).  Using
SHUTTRAP (on VM's download lib) can help you to make PIPE or WAKEUP based
severs "shutdown aware".  My RxServer package has SHUTTRAP exploitation
code.  I.e. if SHUTTRAP MODULE is on an accessed disk, it will exploit it
and the server will end nicely at shutdown/force.  RxServer provides not
only a framework to build your own Rexx severs, but a ready to use VMUTIL is
included, a SHUTTRAP aware VMUTIL thus.