On Thursday, 10/29/2009 at 03:54 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:

> The issue I am having is when I execute the exec on the console for a
guest and
> while it is running I happen to hit the enter key the exec is
interrupted and
> the guest is logged off without completing the shutdown scripts within
the
> Linux guest itself. For systems like Oracle if this is interrupted and
the
> shutdown scripts do not complete this can cause some not so pretty
things to go
> wrong with the Oracle disks.
>
> Also if I want to bring them all down at the same time when one
completed and I
> get into a VM READ if I hit enter that disrupts them all.  I have a copy
of the
> exec but did not want to paste because of its length and cannot attach
here so
> if have some thoughts and need to look at the exec let me know where I
can
> email and attach the exec.

Two things tend to disrupt console-watching execs:

1. You hit enter while in CP SLEEP.  The SLEEP command ends too soon.  If
you need your exec to differentate between ENTER and timeout, use the ATTN
option on SLEEP.  You get RC=1457 if someone pressed ENTER.

2. Using WAKEUP and not checking for RC=6 (console input) and dealing with
it.

I recommend putting your scripts over in your Linux guests and drive them
when ctl-alt-del is hit (entry in fstab).  That script will run when you
target the guest with CP SIGNAL SHUTDOWN, you FORCE it, or you LOGOFF the
guest.