Yeah, I'll put it in with IBM next week. What you describe sounds like
exactly what happened here,
except I didn't have enough knowledge to do what you did to fix it. :)

With me, it could have been some kind of limit; there were 118 3390-3 drives
attached, and a dozen or two 3390-9, all provided courtesy of my local Shark
ESS800.

-Paul