The most obvious, but least likely are the simplest to detect.  Sorry, I
have no answers -- just diagnostic questions...

1) Is it possible that there were any minidisk definition overlaps?  Do
you a directory management product to guard against that? If so, are there
any trap doors left open (e.g. full extent minidisks that could have been
linked R/W by another)?  If not, does DISKMAP or DIRMAP report any
OVERLAPs?
2) Could an external or guest system have written to the disks (i.e
another z/VM system, z/OS system etc. sharing the same set of DASD)?
3) Could another user have linked to one or more of the minidisks R/W?
4) Were here any hardware log errors?

And just for fun, was it ONLY LVMs that were blow away, or was it the 200
(IPL) and 201 (/usr or swap) disks, too?

BTW, from another listserver discussion: 'Linux' is a trademark or Linus
Torvalds.  It is not supposed to be prefaced or appended by anything.
z/Linux, and zLinux violate the trademark.  'Linux for System z', while
verbose does not.  We should respect his trademark when using Linux
publically.    I *believe* that IBM may own the trademark for z/anything
(not 100% certain on that).

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Paul Raulerson" <p...@raulersons.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
10/30/2009 12:23 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
z/LInux, LVM, and minor disasters.

I had to add some additional DASD to a Linux instance over the
weekend, and for whatever reason, it turned into a disaster.

Linux somehow or another decided to rearrange all the DASD and blew
every single LVM I had on the machine. Just under half a terabyte of
data went into some unrecoverable mode.

I'm pretty careful about this, and just build ~100GB volumes using
3390-9 volumes. The mini-disk definitions are always ordered and new
DASD gets higher, sequential numbering. I always start my minidisk
assignments at 200, so 200 is the IPL disk, 201 is either /usr or
swap, depending. 202 starts the data volumes.

I wound up building a new instance, and installing a slightly updated
version of Linux, then restoring all the data with Tivoli from a VTL.
There was no permanent damage done, except to my ability to sleep at
night.

When I rebuilt the data partitions, I built them as RAID-0 partitions.
(The Shark takes care of the real RAID, and I am not worried about
data loss from that direction.)

Has anyone else ran into this?

-Paul

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.