On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:

> Thanks Ed. I am not running SFS and I understand that VMRM requires the
> config file to be under SFS control is this correct?  Also the only thing
> that came on the A disk for the VMRMSVM user was the PROFILE EXEC. I read
> that there should be a sample config file as well as some other files on the
> A disk also, is there another place theses file can be found?

The MONDCSS size really does not matter. It must be configured large
enough to hold full sample configuration data so that you can make
sense of the sample data. When the MONDCSS is large enough, the
default partitioning will leave enough data for sample configuration.
Otherwise you must specify the startup parameters. Once that is done,
it should be good enough for all.

When the amount of monitor event records is high (seeks enabled, or
many virtual machines dropping from queue often) it may be a challenge
for a virtual machine to consume the event buffers before they expire.
With multiple virtual machines processing the same monitor data, you
have more work to be done in a timely manner. If you can't keep up
with event buffers, the bottleneck is normally the number of
outstanding IUCV msgs rather than the available pages in MONDCSS. This
is addressed with the parameters for the monitor rather than the size
of the DCSS.

If I were looking at VMRM, I would also investigate what happens when
the system is so constrained that VMRM does not get the resources to
process the sample in time (that happens sometimes when CP has paged
out the MONDCSS). It would be interesting to see if VMRM at that time
can undo the settings it did before that got z/VM in the thrashing
situation...

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij