From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:39 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: FW: logoff/force pending due to incomplete "logon here"

On Tuesday, 11/03/2009 at 04:45 EST, Bob Levad <ble...@winnebagoind.com>
wrote:
> I don't know if others have seen this behaviour, but I've seen
discussion of
> logoff/force pending recently and found nothing similar in a quick
internet
> search.

If you LOGOFF or are FORCEd while you are in the middle of LOGON HERE, you
should get HCPLGA6051E Restart the logon procedure because reconnect
processing cannot be done

Any time you get LOGOFF/FORCE PENDING and the condition doesn't clear itself
in a reasonable[1] amount of time you should get a SNAPDUMP or restart dump
and open a PMR.

If CP isn't going to give you a hint as to what to do to fix the problem
(other than IPL), then CP needs to not get into that state in the first
place.  Hence the need to open a PMR.

[1] The longest you have to wait for an I/O to complete or get an error is
twice the missing interrupt handler time for the device.  INDICATE I/O will
tell you if the user is waiting on I/O.  Do a QUERY MITIME on any device you
see the user waiting on.  Take the longest MITIME and double it.  For DASD
and tape, the MITIME value comes from the device itself.
Note that for 2nd level systems, the missing interrupt handler is turned OFF
by default!

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic
transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender.  This
information may be legally privileged.  The information is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this
electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited.