From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Dean, David (I/S)
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:17 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: zVM CPU allocation

OK, this is for all you guys that understand the magic tunnel in which CPU
processing (usage) flows from an IFL to a zLinux server.

We have a z10 running zVM 5.4 in a dedicated LPAR with 3 dedicated IFL's.
We have approximately 30 zLinux servers.  Using IBM PerfKit, I list all of
the individual USER / zLinux CPU usages, each of which generally run in the
1 to 5 % range.  These servers do of course peak higher but on average they
are pretty low.  We then take a look at the 3 IFL's and see usage of maybe
5% on each.  Now, let's say we have a USER / server or two or three go
berserk and peak CPU at 99 % for an extended period of time.  We then look
at the IFL CPU usages and all three have climbed to maybe 10 to 15% each.

How did the CPU get allocated?  Is it always spread evenly across the IFL's,
is that a setting?  Why, if there were 3 USER / servers running at 99%, was
more CPU not allocated from the 3 IFL's?  Why did the IFL's decide to
allocate X amount and go no further.

In the USER DIRECTORY I allocate storage but not CPU.

David M. Dean
Information Systems
BlueCross BlueShield Tennnessee

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
E-mail disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm