The initial RSU of a VM release is often fixing serious errors, your
experience confirms this.

But, if you don't need FTP to upload a newer RSU (e.g. can use PCOMM
filetransfer, or a minidisk of a VM system hosting a secondlevel
installation, then one could consider skipping the initial RSU.  In fact, it
is not really skipping, it is replacing the inital RSU with a newer one.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support