From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Hughes, Jim
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:29 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Z/VM 5.4 and VM:Secure running a CLOSED security system

We are moving towards running VM:Secure with RULES enabled as a CLOSED security
system.

Our testing isn't going as well as we hoped. We have had RULES enabled for many
years with NORULE ACCEPT in effect. We changed to NURULE REJECT and some funny
things are happening.

Anyone can issue any CP command with success. For instance, if I am on a
general class G user without the OPTION LNKNOPASS directory statement, I can
issue LINK MAINT 123 1 RR with success.  MAINT's 123 disk does not have ALL as
the password. In fact, it doesn't have any passwords at all.

>From the same user, if I use VMSECURE QRULES JHUG LINK MAINT 123, VM:Secure
>tells me the LINK would be rejected via NORULE DEFAULT.

Would someone help us figure out what we've missed??

Thanks in advance.

Here are the lines from the console.

link maint 123 1 rr
DASD 0001 LINKED R/O; R/W BY VMSECURE    ; R/O BY     4 USERS
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:24:15
vmsecure qrules jhug link maint 123
VMXACQ0223I Rejected via NORULE default

Jim Hughes