From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Hughes, Jim
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 11:29 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Z/VM 5.4 and VM:Secure running a CLOSED security system

We are moving towards running VM:Secure with RULES enabled as a CLOSED
security system.

Our testing isn't going as well as we hoped. We have had RULES enabled
for many years with NORULE ACCEPT in effect. We changed to NURULE REJECT
and some funny things are happening.

Anyone can issue any CP command with success. For instance, if I am on a
general class G user without the OPTION LNKNOPASS directory statement, I
can issue LINK MAINT 123 1 RR with success.  MAINT's 123 disk does not
have ALL as the password. In fact, it doesn't have any passwords at all.

>From the same user, if I use VMSECURE QRULES JHUG LINK MAINT 123,
VM:Secure tells me the LINK would be rejected via NORULE DEFAULT.

Would someone help us figure out what we've missed??

Thanks in advance.

Here are the lines from the console.

link maint 123 1 rr

DASD 0001 LINKED R/O; R/W BY VMSECURE    ; R/O BY     4 USERS

Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:24:15

vmsecure qrules jhug link maint 123

VMXACQ0223I Rejected via NORULE default

Jim Hughes