Another application by the VMSG author was parasite/story. It used the PVM logical device/3270
facility and had a HLLAPI type scripting language (before the advent of ibm/pc) ... it was
"after" REX was available internally. Another remarkable thing was that the executable
was small enough to fit in the CMS "transient" area.

some old storys ... including automatic logging into RETAIN and retrieving PUT
buckets:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#35 Newbie TOPS-10 7.03 question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#36 Newbie TOPS-10 7.03 question

for other topic drift ... in the early 80s I did a re-implementation of the
spool file system written in vs/pascal running in virtual machine. a problem
was that HSDT project was putting in multiple T1 (and higher speed links) ...
with aggregate thruput requirements of megabyte/sec or more. This was
effectively impossible with RSCS and the existing spool file system. The spool
file interface was synchronous transfer of 4k block at a time. On a system with
competing transfers, a RSCS transfer might be stuffed in queue with 3-4 other
operations ... giving RSCS possibly 4-5 4kbyte transfers/sec; I needed possibly
200-300 4kbyte transfers/sec for RSCS.

I had my page-mapped filesystem for CMS with things like contiguous allocation,
efficient multiple block transfers and while CMS might view the interface as
synchronous ... but playing games with page table entries allowed for
asynchronous transfers (a CMS application with moderate filesystem use had
something like three times the thruput using page-mapped filesystem compared to
normal CMS filesystem running on exact same hardware), i could leverage that
interface for the virtual machine spool file implementation ... but I was
taking spool file assembler kernel implementation, redo it in virtual machine
pascal implementation and get at least 100 times increased thruput.

The additional challenge was that since RSCS transferred the whole 4k spool file
block ... all of the high-thruput changes & modifications had to be done so
that they were transparent and interoperated with RSCS running on unmodified vm370
systems.

old posts on the subject in this mailing list
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000b.html#43 Migrating pages from a paging device
(was Re: removal of paging device)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003k.html#63 SPXTAPE status from REXX

other posts on the subject:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#22 CP spooling & programming technology
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#29 CP spooling & programming technology
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003b.html#33 dasd full cylinder transfer (long
post warning)

misc. past HSDT posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970