Understand that.. But ... the Linux system will be DOWN when the backup takes
places
and I actually placed the mdisk on cyl 0001-3337 so as to have a VTOC on cly 0
so that
we could use z/OS to back up this system.  Just appears that something has went
 "boom"
and z/OS isn't seeing record 5 on cyl 0.. just trying to rebuild it..
thanks

>>> alan_altm...@us.ibm.com 12/02/09 08:54AM >>>
On Wednesday, 12/02/2009 at 07:37 EST, Charles Grady
<charles.gr...@dol.state.ga.us> wrote:
> OK.  I have a z/VM vol that contains a 'full pack' mdisk for a linux
guest.
> when trying to back up this vol from z/OS with DFDSS he complains about
> there not being a valid VTOC.  IS there a way to just "clip" the VTOC to
get the
> information in the right format and NOT distroy the data. The mdisk is
cyl
> 0001-3337 on volid NLNX0A.

Do not clip a volume that z/OS doesn't own.

BTW, an mdisk that starts on cyl 1 is not a "full pack" mdisk.  That means
that if your z/OS is running in an LPAR, it will see real cyl 0 (owned by
CP in this example), not cyl 1 (owned by Linux).

Caveat emptor: External backups of a live Linux guest will be fuzzy.  That
is, incomplete and inconsistent, just as a z/OS backup would be if taken
using DDR on CMS while z/OS is running.  Build your backup/restore
procedures accordingly.  (Best is to shut down the Linux guest and then
copy the disks.)

GDOL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This transmission may contain confidential
information protected by state
or federal law.  The information is intended only for use consistent with the
state business discussed in this
transmission.If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or the taking of any action based on the contents is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this
transmission in error, please delete this email and notify the sender
immediately.Your cooperation is
appreciated.