On Monday, 12/14/2009 at 02:44 EST, "Gary M. Dennis"
<gary.den...@mantissa.com> wrote:
> Watching ?A Christmas Story? makes me wonder if  you can ?shoot your eye
out?
> through errors of omission with a VM system.

Of course.  Computers aren't the brightest bulbs on the string, but they
are obedient.  Note that they do occassionally leave a mess on the floor,
so you can't leave them unattended!  There is a phrase: "Our gun, your
foot.  Keep your finger off the trigger."

> Can anyone point me to a  source for z/VM ?Best Practices? that
addresses low
> level system recovery (essentially disaster recovery).

LOL.  I am coming to hate the phrase "Best Practices".   The problem is
with "best."   It depends on (a) what your recovery requirements are, and
(b) how much money you are willing to pay. [1]

You need to know:
- How quickly must the virtual servers be back on the air?  (z/VM is
recovered and guests are up.)
- How quickly must the virtual servers data be resynched with Last Known
Data?  (Linux guests have gone through their own recovery.)
- How much in-flight data loss can you tolerate?

The answers to these questions drive the technology and the cost.

[1] Same issues come up vis a vis security.  Performance.  Automation.
Provisioning....