> I didn't mean to be smart, sorry if it came out that way. I just wanted
to stress that everything you need to perform a DR, including hardcopy
reports, utility tapes, DR procedure manual, CD's with software
manuals, etc. has to be on a DR site or in the off-site storage, that's
all.

Ivica,

Well... your post *did* come across as "smart" -- but the **GOOD** form of
"smart", adding value to an open subject.  There is no need to apologize
for adding helpful detail to any subject.  There are many new (and future)
readers of this list who will benefit from the experiences of those who
continue to contribute to the list (some contribute well after they have
retired or are forced to leave z/VM).  That's what makes this list a true
world-wide "z/VM Community" (with the "z/" preface added to eliminate
confusion caused by the other late-comer upstart "VM" groups (VMWare, Java
VM's, VoiceMail, etc.).  I believe that the first use of the term "VM
Community" was by Melinda Varian, in her paper "What Mother Never Told You
About VM Service, 1983", which while dated by VMSES/E is still a great
resource (see: http://www.princeton.edu/~melinda/tutorial.listing ).  Your
contributions to the list have always been in that welcoming, inclusive
spirit.

My addition to your post was intended to confirm, and expand upon, what
you wrote.  My initial response was just to get the ball rolling,
expecting that others would continue to contribute from their z/VM D.R.
experiences.  Thus, those new to z/VM have no reason to experience a
disastrous Disaster Recovery, if that's not too redundant.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Ivica Brodaric" <ivica.broda...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
12/15/2009 06:49 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: VM Best Practices

Mike,

I didn't mean to be smart, sorry if it came out that way. I just wanted to
stress that everything you need to perform a DR, including hardcopy
reports, utility tapes, DR procedure manual, CD's with software
manuals, etc. has to be on a DR site or in the off-site storage, that's
all.

Of course, mirroring makes that much easier, because your DR system is
just waiting to be IPLed. You have to send less stuff off-site, a lot of
it can be kept on disks. Anything that you may need *before* you bring up
VM, and that answers questions "where is...?" has to be either in the DR
manual or in the hardcopy report on the DR site.

My recent experience is also with mirroring - two sites running half of
production load each, disk mirroring each way. LPAR configs were identical
between sites and DR meant logging on one second level VM on each
surviving VM(*) and PROFILE and other EXECs would take care of the rest.
But I still miss the good ol' days of walking into a DR site and actually
*doing something* to restore the system. Oh, wait, maybe I don't. It's
just nostalgia. I was just much younger then. :-)

Ivica

(*) I don't suggest this setup unless you have plenty of storage and zero
paging in production LPARs. At least that.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.