From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of P S
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:58 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z890 power: 3 phase vs 1 phase?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Aria Bamdad <a...@bsc.gwu.edu> wrote:

The question below was asked back in May with no real answer.  I recently
ran into a section in an IBM z10-BC systems assurance document (SA08-006)
that says:

3.5.1 Important Power Selection Considerations
As you select features for your z10 BC server, be aware of the following
when
choosing server power:
. If you choose single phase power, you can have a maximum of two I/O
drawers.
. If you choose single phase power, you will have unbalanced power.
. If you choose three phase power, you may have either balanced or
unbalanced power, depending on server configuration.
. If you choose three phase power, you can guarantee balanced power by
selecting FC3002, Balanced Power Plan Ahead. This feature adds two more
Bulk Power Regulators to each side of the power supplies, assuring adequate
and balanced power for all possible configurations.

So, something like the above may apply to a z890 as the original question
referenced.

What is "unbalanced" power? The Senate without the House? Congress without
the Supreme Court? Seriously, though -- what does it mean?