Ok, I think by balanced or unbalanced they mean the amount of current draw
on an electrical panel or supply.  If you have a single phase, by definition
it is unbalanced since there is nothing to balance.  However, with more than
one phase, you can try to draw similarly between them.

The z10-BC Physical Planning manual (GC28-6875-03) has a section on
'Balancing power panel loads'.  In there it says:

"For z10 BC models that use three phase power, depending on the system

configuration, the phase currents can be fully balanced or unbalanced. For
each

possible drawer configuration (processor and I/O combinations), any given
system

presents a balanced or unbalanced load. If several unbalanced system

configurations are fed from the same power panel, the load on that panel
will be

unbalanced. Two phase currents will be equal and both will be, nominally,
57.8% of

the current on the third phase."

I think it's clear now.

Aria