PS,

As Sue Farrell related in a previous post, if you have the PTF for APAR
VM64513 applied you may not be subject to that lengthy delay as we are
with one system still running z/VM 5.1

But to answer the question as best I can from memory.  DISCLAIMER: I'm not
in the office today, so the exact details may be "slightly off" - just
like me.  The general method should be pretty close, experts can correct
the details if it's too far off.

ECDK files have an entry in the File Status Table which resides on that
MDISK.  The FST, along with other information contained therein, points to
the first block of each file.  Each file block is chained by a pointer to
the next block.  Erasing the file just turns off the pointer in the FST to
the first file block (similar to Windows' FAT filesystem).  There's more
to the ECKD filesystem than that, but the main point here is the speed of
clearing a single pointer inside the already-in-storage FST.

In SFS, the SFS server manages a catalog mdisk.  That catalog has a
pointer to every 4K block in the filepool.  When a (large or small) is
erases, the block pointer for every file needs to be cleared, and IIRC, a
bit in every block that the made up the block.   Without looking at the
PTF, perhaps something in that process was updated to speed things up,
just guessing.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"P S" <zosw...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
12/22/2009 01:49 PM
Please respond to