CMS' EDF file system also has an allocation map (in fact, it is one of 2
hidden CMS files).  The freed blocks must be reflected there as well.  A bit
more work than just "turning off the first pointer".

Internally SFS though has much in derived from SQL/DS (now DB2/VM), it can
manage much more space than a single minidisk, and sometimes one pays a
price a bit too high for this.  Glad to read this issue is solved.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support