Wayne,

It is sad to hear another great University and one of the First to embrace
VM lose their way like this ;-)

keep in touch and here is hoping you can still go to SHARE specially in
Boston in August.

Bill Munson
Sr. z/VM Systems Programmer
Brown Brothers Harriman & CO.
525 Washington Blvd.
Jersey City, NJ 07310
201-418-7588

President MVMUA
http://www2.marist.edu/~mvmua/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/BillMunson

Wayne Smith <w...@maine.edu>
01/04/2010 11:38 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Moving on: The University of Maine (System) shuts down mainframe

Hi all,

It's been 7 years in the making, or tearing down.  We shutdown our
mainframe December 31.  We ran VM for an incredible 38.5 years and it was
a blast, especially at SHARE and the various incarnations of this group!

Gerry Dube has retired (mostly), though not before helping all Maine K-12
schools and libraries be very well connected to the internet.
Kerry Anderson leads our e-mail, ID management, DNS and several other
areas, and of course has built world-class tools to integrate and manage
the systems.
My hats include Listserv postmaster, Oracle DBA, and backup and recovery.
We're just now implementing a new D2D2D system (Quantum & NetBackup).
Our administrative systems have moved to PeopleSoft on Sun Solaris SPARC
machines, with nearly all of the rest of our shop on Linux Intel machines.
In an odd twist (of cruelty), we've retrained one of our mainframe
operators to handle our Windows systems work.  ;-)

Happy New Year to all!

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne T Smith -- w...@maine.edu
Systems and Operations Group, ITS, UMS

*************************** IMPORTANT
NOTE*****************************-- The opinions expressed in this
message and/or any attachments are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates ("BBH"). There is no guarantee that
this message is either private or confidential, and it may have
been altered by unauthorized sources without your or our knowledge.
Nothing in the message is capable or intended to create any legally
binding obligations on either party and it is not intended to
provide legal advice. BBH accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage from its use, including damage from virus.