On Thursday, 01/07/2010 at 02:58 EST, Brian Nielsen
<bniel...@sco.idaho.gov> wrote:
> You might try this:
>
> http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=29651&type=pdf
>
> The above, "Mimic: A Fast System/370 Simulator", is also cited in patent

Not everyone has access to ACM's digital library, but the only relevant
point in the paper (I think) was that alignment was a factor in the number
of RISC operations required to access an operand.

The warning about alignment-dependent performance has been in the book
since time immemorial and the assembler has been issuing warnings about it
since Day 2.  (I remember my great-grandfather mentioning it to his pet
dinosaur one day....)  Read the section in Chapter 5 on "Storage-Operand
Consistency" for some additional details.

But remember that the Principles of Operations describes *architecture*,
not implementation.  If you obey the alignment rules, then the machine
will provide the "block consistency" it describes.  For example:  ST
R1,R1VALUE.  If R1VALUE is on a fullword (S/390) or doubleword
(z/Architecture) boundary, the machine will ensure that all relevant bytes
in R1 will appear to have been stored as a single unit.  Likewise for
fetch operations.

The PoP does NOT say what happens if R1VALUE is NOT on an integral
boundary.  The results are 'unspecified' and cannot be depended upon.