Just for historical purposes, back in the days of Alan's great grandfather,
S/360's early days, there was a "byte oriented operand feature" that could be
purchased if forcing alignment would cause you grief. Without it, a violation
of boundary alignment caused a program check.

Regards,
Richard Schuh