On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:56 AM, Kris Buelens <kris.buel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It depends what you need to restore.  DFSMS/VM's COPY command can copy CMS
> formatted minidisks to unlike disks, so also from 3390 to FBA.  The VM spool
> for example need to be rebuilt and transferred using tape; MAINT 190, with
> its CMS nucleus, needs to be rebuilt too, sameway for SAPL.

But DFSMS does not know how to copy the Linux payload from one disk to
another one. The fact that it can do CMS disks is of little help here.

For the z/VM data, I would say that not even a very experienced VM
systems programmer would try this. It's easier to re-install z/VM 2nd
level on FCP devices. With both systems available at the same time,
it's easy to pick up any missing things by file-level copy.

Whether you should fiddle with Linux data depends on the amount of
data, your skills and the ability to re-install Linux. The simple
answer is that you can't copy the data like this, other than backup
and restore from logical (file level) backup. It may be a good
opportunity to test that process and get a reality check...

Rob