All from memory... and it's been "a while" since I installed z/VM (or
delivered by installation session at SHARE <sigh>).

You began the installation on your 1st level userid.  The commands began
by loading installation EXECs and files down to the 191 disk on that 1st
level userid.  Then you executed a couple commands on that 1st level
userid, running the commands downloaded to that 1st level 191 disk.  That
updated/saved some additional files to that 1st level 191 disk.

Then you IPLed the IIS (Initial Installation System).  The IIS has a
directory entry for MAINT expecting to be able to access the files on that
1st level 191 disk, apparently address 199 (i.e. ATTACH
the-1st-level-191-minidisk to-the-2nd-level-IIS-system
as-*virtualized*-real-address 199.

I'd bet that when you finally look in the IIS's directory for MAINT that
you will see a 199 disk - something the regular MAINT will not have
(except as a commented record after the installation is complete).

The IIS must be IPLed from the same system that you executed the downloads
from the tape.  It is relying on the 1st level userid's 191 mdisk to be
accessible.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"ASIFF AMAHED" <asiff...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
02/16/2010 10:05 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: ZVM V6 "instvm tape"

Why do i need Device 191 to build the directory? and why is asking for
191,  in 5.4 i did not have this problem, why now? thats anyone know what
i have to do now?