From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Tom Rae
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:22 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VMUTIL Executing a long running EXEC

Hi Scott,

As numerous others have suggested, you should set up VMUTIL to XAUTOLOG
another userid that will execute the long-running EXEC and return
completion information via a mechanism of your choice. My $0.05 worth is

that this is a perfect opportunity to exploit "POOL" userids, which
enable the creation of an arbitrary, and easily changeable, set of
identically configured userids via a single pair of CP Directory INCLUDE

and USER entries.Where permitted by local security rules I routinely set

up my own personal pool of slave userids, which have read access to my
minidisks and write access to my SFS directories, that I use to offload
from my primary userid any task that takes more than a couple of seconds

to run. This can be a great productivity enhancer!

Regards,

Tom.

Wandschneider, Scott wrote:
> I have a REXX EXEC that is triggered by VMUTIL and it runs 90 minutes.
> While this EXEC is running VMUTIL is not acting on any other items in
> the WAKEUP file. Which makes sense.  My question is how can I have
> VMUTIL trigger a long running EXEC?
>
> Thank you,
> Scott R Wandschneider
> Senior Systems Programmer
>
> Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, including any attachment to it, may
contain material that is confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or
"Protected Health Information," within the meaning of the regulations
under the Health Insurance Portability&  Accountability Act as amended.
If it is not clear that you are the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this transmittal in error, and any
review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, including
any attachment to it, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please immediately return it to the sender and delete
it from your system. Thank you.