On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Gabe Goldberg <g...@gabegold.com> wrote:

> Should everyone be precluded from seeing help wanted ads here because of
> some (a few, I hope) companies' (silly, IMHO) policies? Do those companies
> also forbid their employees from reading newspaper classified sections or
> visiting help wanted sites on their home computers? Do the companies assign
> minders to monitor all lists subscribed by employees, or analyze all
> incoming email for forbidden thoughts and topics? Do they really think
> policies like that HELP employee retention?
>
> More people likely see these notices here than would on Velocity's Web
> site, so this seems a better place for them. A better solution seems to be
> for people working at companies which think they can censor information
> their employees see to read the list on home computers.
>
> I don't have a dog in this fight; I'm neither hiring nor looking to be
> hired, but companies attempting to impose discussion list restrictions like
> this seem ... foolish, and that's being kind.

Sure, but pointing out that it's foolish is as, um, pointless as pointing
out that email disclaimers saying "If you aren't the intended recipient,
please claw your eyes out and kill yourself" are pointless (he pointed out
pointedly).

If nothing else, Mike's warning makes it clear to any PHBs reading this that
this sort of thing is not the norm and that they shouldn't suddenly forbid
reading a useful technical list because of a single posting.