It's not just an issue of narrow-minded corporate management on theoretical remote systems. Please bear in mind that we are hosted, for free, by a state-run, tax-supported institution. For better or ill, UARK has a long-standing policy about not using their infrastructure for that type of traffic. It happens rarely enough that the occasional "trivial, though potentially conspicuous" breach of protocol hasn't caused us any grief. I am, understandably, motivated to ensure that it does not become a point of pain for our gracious hosts.

I don't pretend to understand why the rules are there, nor do I care to engage in debate on the topic. It's UARK's hardware, their network, and their rules. Silly-seeming policies at third-party organizations are my favorite kind of problem: Problems for other people.

Admittedly, this isn't necessarily clear at present to "drive-by" subscribers like the individual who posted the announcement. It's not feasible to put the list on full moderation. I don't have the bandwidth available to eyeball-inspect every single post and bounce the rare exceptional case back to the sender.

However, here's what I *can* do: Another list hosted by U. Arkansas (SAG-L -- Software AG products discussion) has a long-standing FAQ which includes policy statements regarding this sort of posting. I'm acquainted with the list owner, and will obtain his permission to grab a copy of that FAQ as a starting template -- and then I'll file off the serial numbers, strip out the stuff that's specific to ADABAS / NATURAL / etc, and adapt the rest for use on IBMVM. While I can't force anybody to actually *read* it, LISTSERV provides a way to deliver an FAQ to all new subscribers.

Interested parties are welcome to send me suggestions for VM-specific FAQ items - but please bear in mind that much of the heavy lifting on this matter is already addressed via http://www.vm.ibm.com, and it seems pointless to duplicate the resources already available there.

-dan.