The listserv sent me a message my post didn't go out, so try again.

If you go to conferences such as CMG (Computer Management Group), that has been a mainframe organization (meaning MVS or z/OS) since it started, our VM has never been represented, but VMWare now has many sessions. It's depressing to see 80 people in entry level performance session for VMWare and no z/VM sessions on the agenda of a mainframe conference. Early this year I was hearing ads for VMWare on the local radio station. I can only assume that VM is being outmarketed worldwide (or at least that VMWare is being marketed worldwide and VM is not marketed publicly at all). It doesn't matter if our mousetrap is better if nobody is out there trying to get mindshare (marketing). Preaching/grumbling to the choir doesn't change anything.

So when was the last time that any of you tried to get a case study published showing how great your accomplishments are using z/VM? There are very few published stories (sorry games on "z" don't impress bean counters or executives, it's rather demeaning), we need REAL business case studies showing the value of "z/VM" to real companies. If we get enough and executives do a google search on VM, maybe they will find something useful?

There are many places to post and publish. Even twitter or blogs would be helpful in getting mindshare.