On Monday, 04/05/2010 at 01:19 EDT, Brian Nielsen <bniel...@sco.idaho.gov>
wrote:
> Does Standalone DDR (directly in an LPAR, not under z/VM) do a hardware
> assign & release for the 3590 tape drive addresses it uses?

Yes.  When running standalone, drives are assigned on first use and
unassigned at EOJ.

> I'm thinking ahead to an upcoming DR exercise in which while I'm running
> DDR native in one LPAR some z/OS images are being IPL'd in other LPARs
> that also have access to the same tape drive ranges.  I know z/OS does
the
> hardware assign when it varies the drive online, and I'm wondering if
that
> will negatively impact Standalone DDR's access to the tape drive it is
> using.  Once I'm far enough along that I can run DDR under z/VM I know
it
> won't be an issue because z/VM will do the assign when the drive is
> attached to a virtual machine.

Yes, it will be an impact; MVS has to unassign the drives that DDR wants
to use, if he has already assigned them (first one up wins).  If you have
z/VM up and a good quality tape management product running, it can talk to
z/OS and get the drives unassigned, depending on what tape management
software you have running on z/OS.  For SA DDR, you will have to manually
take them offline from MVS before you run DDR.