This doesn't answer the SPXTAPE question directly, but since you are
migrating to 5.4 most, if not all, of your NSS's will be built as part of

the migration.  You probably don't need to copy the 5.3 versions unless

you really need them.

That said, it has been mentioned on the list several times that SPXTAPE

needs a tape device.  For DCSS's you can use DCSSBKUP and DCSSRSAV.  Some

stuff you could just rebuild.

There's been talk about wanting a PIPEable version of SPXTAPE, but I thin
that's still a pipe dream, as it were.

Brian Nielsen