Martha McConaghy writes:
> We have installed an IBM SVC and are now trying to configure it to work with
> z/VM 5.4.0.  I've zoned the SVC and the FICON adapters together and created
> a host on the SVC.  Both sides seem to see each other and communicate.
> (I have all the latest service on z/VM.)
>
> So, I created three vdisks on the SVC and mapped them to the VM host.  On the
> z/VM side, I created the first EDEV with no problem.  I'm able to create the
> second and third EDEVs also.  However, when either of them is varied online,
> I get the following error:
>
> HCPSZP8701I Path FCP_DEV 1111 WWPN 5005076801405094 LUN 0000000000000002 was
>     deleted from EDEV FE11 because it conflicts with online EDEV FE10
>
> The LUN addresses are definitely unique, so this ought to work.  It works
> for the DS8300 I also use for SAN space.
>
> Any ideas for those of you who also have an SVC?  I'm using the SCSI ID
> for the vdisks as the LUN address.  Is this the correct thing?

For SVC, the SCSI ID goes in the first four hex digits and you append
12 trailing zeroes.

I did a presentation "From zero hardware to Oracle RAC" at the z tech
conference in Berlin a few weeks ago and that includes more detail on
SVC configuration (XIV backend) of hardware, z/VM and Linux.
I'll make it available somewhere tomorrow.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie
Mainframe Systems and Software Business, Europe