Hi DJ,

I have earlier used CMS CPFMTXA utility to format the DASD. I think CPFMTXA
does use ICKDSF for the DASD operations with CPVOL attribute for the format
commands. Going forward I will start using ICKDSF instead of cpfmtxa:

So the ICKDSF commands for initializing a DASD volume LEPG2A @ 5815 as a page
volume will be:

ICKDSF console console
CPVOL FORMAT UNIT(5815) VFY(LEPG2A) RANGE(0,0)
CPVOL FORMAT UNIT(5815) VFY(LEPG2A) RANGE(1,3338) TYPE((PAGE,1, 3338))

I have made note of the point that cpowned VM DASD volumes should be kept
offline to MVS.

But to check if the dummy VTOC was written:
After completing the above format steps, I have detached the volume @ 5815 from
VM. I have asked MVS storage support to verify that that appeared ok with the
dummy VTOC. They said they got an error trying to read the VTOC. Is this the
normal behavior?

Thank you,
Ashwin
Texas Instruments Inc.