On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:29:02 -0500, Frank M. Ramaekers
<framaek...@ailife.com> wrote:

>...I know that I can do this easily from z/VSE, but what about z/OS?
>

>Let me explain further.  This past Saturday, we performed our first DR
>test with our current setup (1 z/OS system and 1 z/VM with
>multiple-z/VSE).  Since we have not been able to get the backup
>performance from either z/VM or z/VSE that z/OS provides, we backup both

>systems (2 z9s) from z/OS.   During recovery, the z/OS system DSF's all
>devices to LABEL them and then restores them from the library.
>
>Well, the setup is a z/VM "floor" system with z/OS and "our" z/VM under
>it.  All of the DASD is MDISK DEVNO'ed in 1st level VM.   After a DASD
>label has changed it's not reflected on the 1st level VM until a VARY
>OFF/ON is performed.  Since z/OS is performing the labeling, it would be

>best for it to do the VARY OFF/ON.
>

>Other thoughts?

Since your DASD is given to your 2nd level DR guests via DEVNO your 1st

level system doesn't care what the label is.  I submit that varying them

OFF/ON is not needed at all.  We've conducted many DR tests as 2nd level

guests, relabeling every volume, and never cared what label the 1st level

system thought it was.  When interfacing with the 1st level provider refe
to addresses not labels.

Brian Nielsen