From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Phil Smith III
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:16 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: XEDIT from a program

Buettner, Wolfgang wrote:
>We have a pretty old application that uses XEDIT and macros to
manipulate files.

>It appears that if the target of "locate /string/" is not found the ^
symbol  is displayed on the console. Not nice, but I can live with that
as it happens not so often.

>However, if and only if the application runs in a DISCONNECT virtual
machine, also each ":line number" command writes the content of that
line to the CONSOLE LOG file which adds thousands unneeded ones.

>Is there a way to avoid that? Maybe I have overseen something in the
books .

The ^ symbol is because MSGMODE is SHORT. Use SET MSGMODE OFF to
suppress it (and turn it back on after the LOCATE command, or you won't
see any messages!)

The contents of the lines appearing is because VERIFY is ON. Use SET
VERIFY OFF to suppress it.

...phsiii