> The drawback to Mike's approach is that your system name changes at your
DR site.
True... but I *like* and *use* the different System_Identifier names!

> That would cause more problems than it would solve for us.
Perhaps, but when it is planned for it can be a huge benefit... (aside
from users knowing that they are running on a D.R. system, and perhaps not
expecting any changes to remain after the test is completed).

The System_Identifier from SYSTEM CONFIG is easily returned from rexx
code:
   parse value diag(08,'QUERY USERID') with self  .  ConfigSysID  .  '15'x
 .

Note: The CMS command "IDENTIFY" returns the nodename from "SYSTEM NETID
S2", not necessarily the same.

This permits service machines to take different code paths when running on
(e.g.) "VMPROD" vs 'RECOVERY" or "VMTEST" (2nd level).

Perhaps during D.R. certain service machines will use different hardware
addresses, not start some applications, or start other ones.

Examples include VTAM, and TCPIP.  When those servers come up here, they
read "NODAL CONFIG Y2", and respond accordingly when matching the System
Config System_Identifier (node names have been changed below to be more
obvious):
---<snip>---
* This file is read by various REXX and GCS programs for use in
* normal operations and in disaster recovery both in Lincolnshire and
* at a disaster recovery vendor.

*SysCfgID Svm_Name Dtyp Rdev Comment

* CPC4 LPAR2 as of 20090214
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 0D61 'CTC 0D61 to SYSE, Read1'
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 1D61 'CTC 1D61 to SYSE, Read2'
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 0D62 'CTC 0D62 to SYSE, Write1'
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 1D62 'CTC 1D62 to SYSE, Write2'

 PRODVM   TCPIP    OSA  0140 0140
 PRODVM   TCPIP    OSA  0141 0141
 PRODVM   TCPIP    OSA  0142 0142

* CPC4 LPAR2 as of Feb 2008?
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 0D71 'CTC 0D71 to SYSF, Read1'
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 1D71 'CTC 1D71 to SYSF, Read2'
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 0D72 'CTC 0D72 to SYSF, Write1'
 PRODVM   VTAM     CTCA 1D72 'CTC 1D72 to SYSF, Write2'

 PRODVM   TCPIP    OSA  0140 0140
 PRODVM   TCPIP    OSA  0141 0141
 PRODVM   TCPIP    OSA  0142 0142

* CPC4 LPAR3
 TESTVM VTAM     CTCA 0C50 'CTC 0C50 to SYSE, Read1'
 TESTVM VTAM     CTCA 0C51 'CTC 0C51 to SYSE  Write1'

* CPC5 LPAR3 as of 20090214
 RECOVERY VTAM     CTCA 0D61 'CTC 0D61 to SYSE for SNA terminals, Read1'

 RECOVERY VTAM     CTCA 1D61 'CTC 1D61 to SYSE for SNA terminals, Read2'

 RECOVERY VTAM     CTCA 0D62 'CTC 0D62 to SYSE for SNA terminals, Write1'

 RECOVERY VTAM     CTCA 1D62 'CTC 1D62 to SYSE for SNA terminals, Write2'

 RECOVERY TCPIP    OSA  6051 0140
 RECOVERY TCPIP    OSA  6052 0141
 RECOVERY TCPIP    OSA  6053 0142

* Updated 20090215 mrw - Add TCPIP OSA support (HA$TCPTX on TCPMAINT 198)
---<snip>---

I prefer that our VM system IPL without any manual changes during a D.R.
test.  After all: the sysprogs may have been casualties during the
disaster.  OK, we *do* have to install a few product passwords for D.R.
serial numbers, but that is well documented, and pretty minimal (newer
contracts have stricter ISV requirements allowing us to run on any of our
machines).

Hardware differences when running on the bare metal (done when recovering
from our other data center) can be taken care of programmatically in this
manner without requiring manual intervention, and without running VM under
VM (making appropriate directory changes just to get the same device
addresses as prod).

Creating the "NODAL CONFIG Y2" file above meant that when hardware
addresses are changed, I don't have to search all over the place to find
references to those addresses - they are all in one place.

As usual, YMMV.  After years of tweaking to speed up our D.R. (more or
less, the Operator IPLs VM from the "recovery" machine, responds to a
prompt from an EXEC called by OPERATOR's "PROFILE EXEC" asking if they
really do want to IPL on a machine with a different serial number.  Then
the system comes up automatically adjusting for the processor change and
it's particular hardware addresses and own peculiarities.

During D.R. (after the mirrored and remote-copied DASD has been cut and
the network is up), once we are given the  LPAR for VM, the VM IPL takes
the same 7-10 minutes it normally takes, and does not require a VM
sysprog.  Of course, we're always standing by in case something breaks,
but this really does take all the "work" out of it at zero-dark-thirty.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"O'Brien, Dennis L" <dennis.l.o'br...@bankofamerica.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
07/15/2010 12:06 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Devices OFFLINE at IPL

The drawback to Mike's approach is that your system name changes at your
DR site.  That would cause more problems than it would solve for us.
                                                         Dennis O'Brien

"If I could not go to heaven but with a [political] party, I would not go
there at all." -- Thomas Jefferson