Mace is right.  Use EXT3 for most things.
Use EXT2 for things which will ever be shared. (RO)
I also like to use EXT2 for things which don't (or shouldn't) change
much, if only because they MIGHT get shared or mounted RO at some
later time.  The journalling on EXT3 is annoying when you try to go
RO.  It still wants to replay.

Last time I tried (which was recent and was with a very current
Linux), I had to use "LDL" for DIAG to work.  LDL is an older layout
where the CKD disk is blocked uniformly.  I see no reason why "CDL"
will ever work with DIAG.  (And part of me hopes it never does.  I
have an affinity for uniformity and interoperability.)  But the IBMers
who own that code would have to speak about that future.  Near term,
DIAG requires LDL.