We code stuff in the SYSTEM CONFIG to control which lpar sees which volumes at
IPL time.  It does require some work to set up and to maintain it.

Paul Feller
AIT Mainframe Technical Support

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Tom Huegel
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:49 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Duplicate VOLID's

I am looking for a way to verify at IPL time that z/VM is using the volumes I
intended.
It is possible that there are more than one volume with a volid of xxxRES
xxxWK1 xxxWK2 etc.
I could put something in the AUTOLOG1 PROFILE EXEC to do Q DASD and verify that
xxxRES is at address x'100' and xxxWK1 is at x'101' and xxxWK2 is at x'102'..
etc. but that can be messy and diffacult to maintain.

Then I thought I could do something in the SYSTEM CONFIG file.
SYSTEM_IDENTIFIER_2094_123ABC_GOODSYS
SYSTEM_IDENTIFER_DEFAULT_BADSYS

IMBED -SYSTEM- CONFIG

In GOODSYS CONFIG I would have all of the normal stuff.
In BADSYS CONFIG maybe just a bunch of SAY 'WRONG SYSTEM' statements..

This doesn't verify anything beyond that this is the correct xxxRES for this
LPAR. If the volume was cloned (DDR) it would pass this test anway.

Just courious as how others handle this, if at all.

Thanks for any thoughts.