Thanks all, my questions have been answered.

Bye,
Geert.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: donderdag 26 augustus 2010 17:25
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Coupling TN3270E sessions to VTAM

On Thursday, 08/26/2010 at 05:06 EDT, Dieltiens Geert
<geert.dielti...@inf.vanbreda.be> wrote:

> I'm looking into the TN3270E server of TCP/IP for z/VM 5.4 as a
> replacement for a Cisco CIP/CPA TN3270E server. I have briefly tested
> the VM TN3270E server, and it seems to works fine.
>
> Using the Cisco based TN3270E server, our end-users get a VTAM
> SNA-session with an USSTAB menu, giving them access to our multidomain
> VTAM-network and all its applications running in several VM and VSE
> systems.
>
> I can do the same using the TN3270E server in VM: I can connect a
> TN3270E session to VM/VTAM using the DIAL VTAM command (manually, or
> from SCEXIT) which creates a Non-SNA-session on which I can show an
> USSTAB menu. This does require a DEFINE GRAF xxxx 3270 for every
session
> that DIALs to VTAM.
> I tried that and it works, but can I use this DIAL-method for several
> thousands of TN3270E sessions? Is there a limit to the number of
> sessions? Or are there better ways for coupling a lot of VM/TN3270E
> sessions to VM/VTAM?

DIAL is the only way to connect native VM TN3270E sessions to VTAM,
whether you DIAL VTAM, DIAL PVM, or DIAL some other VTAM-enabled guest.
If
you DIAL VTAM, the limit on the number of sessions is based solely on
the
number of GRAFs you have defined and the number of the LOCAL LUs you
have
defined to VTAM.

Having thousands of LOCAL LUs defined shouldn't particularly bother
VTAM,
but you may need to adjust virtual and common storage sizes. Or you may
need multiple VTAMs and split things up.  (Hey, if it's an odd IP
address
DIAL VTAM1.  If even, dial VTAM2.)

DISCLAIMER

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmas...@vanbreda.be
This footnote also confirms that this email has been checked
for the presence of viruses.

Informatica J.Van Breda & Co NV BTW BE 0427 908 174