Thanks!  This was exactly what i needed to get started.  Once this was
done i was able to link it (mw) and, because the machine with
permissions to link to another disk was non-network-accessible, take a
crash course on using ed to modify files :/   but the troubled system
is back up.

Thanks for your help.