> i was able to link it (mw)

You'll want to be very, *VERY* careful with MW links on a z/VM system.  MW
LINK access permits two users (virtual machines) to LINK to the same
minidisk "writable" at the same time.  If the systems that have that disk
linked writable at the same time to not provide some sort of locking
functions (e.g. z/OS's "reserve/release"., "ENQ/DEQ"), then the minidisk
can be quickly rendered "one-way encrypted"... both systems writing to the
same file without any idea that someone else was writing to that same
filesystem.

If it helps, think of a minidisk as a SCSI hard drive in a desktop.  The
CP LINK command is much like connecting (or "LINKing") two desktops to the
same SCSI drives using separate ribbon cables at the same time.  If both
desktops are each running their own O.S., and their is no special
coordinating software managing that shared R/W hard drive, the result is
chaos to the shared hard drive filesystem.

If one of the users still logged on but is non-operable (i.e. cannot
detach the disk) then MW can, when used carefully, be a solution.  But
it's better to get the non-operable system logged off - leaving only one
R/W user to the minidisk.  It's just too easy to forget once it is
repaired, ending up with two users continuing to write to the minidisk
after it has been repaired.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Daniel Tate" <daniel.t...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
08/30/2010 12:19 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: messed up DASD Mappings..

Thanks!  This was exactly what i needed to get started.  Once this was
done  and, because the machine with
permissions to link to another disk was non-network-accessible, take a
crash course on using ed to modify files :/   but the troubled system
is back up.

Thanks for your help.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Richard Troth <r...@casita.net> wrote:
> If it looks like the others when you do a  'q v dasd'  then it is a
minidisk.

> Most likely, it is a "near full pack" minidisk, which means it starts
> at cylinder 1 (and z/VM owns cylinder 0).  Attaching it directly means
> that the guest sees the whole disk, including cyl 0.  Linux will not
> know what to do with that.
>
> Attach the disk to SYSTEM.  Then  'link owner oaddr myaddr mr'  where
> "owner"  is the virtual machine which owns the minidisk, "oaddr" is
> the address where it exists on the owning virtual machine, and
> "myaddr" is where you want it linked/attached/connected on the virtual
> machine where you want to fix it.  (Pick any random address for
> "myaddr".)
>
> Then boot Linux, bring the disk online, and try fixing things.
>
> -- R;   <><
>

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:51, Daniel Tate <daniel.t...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Right on both accounts.   I am unsure if it is a minidisk - it
>> normally shows when i do a q v dasd just like all the others (minus
>> VDSK) in the original post (CYL addressing), if that tells you
>> anything
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Richard Troth <vmcow...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> You attached the disk (the whole volume) to that other guest.  But ...
>>> the guest which owns it ... is it a minidisk?  If so, then you want to
>>> 'link' it instead of 'attach' it.
>>>
>>> That's just for starters.  Forgive me if you already know this, but it
>>> sounds like  #1  you are in a minor crisis and  #2  you are new to
>>> z/VM.  We'll gladly help, but it will take time to get you up to
>>> speed.
>>>
>>> -- R;   <><

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.